Fate/Hollow Ataraxia:Release3 feedback
Feedback regarding Release3 belongs on this page. The file itself can be found here.
Non-constructive feedback is appreciated, too, but would look best on the discussion page.
 Infinite hang in Confrontation scene (夜編2-21.ks.po), and word-wrapping issues in general
Other people have reported similar things, but I shall go into detail about the precise issues I have encountered, with the hope of drawing further attention to the problem and of giving people the information they may need to fix it. So, first, the hang. Here are some consecutive screenshots showing what happens:
At this point, it hangs; I can view history and the menu, but cannot progress, not even with the skip button. (Even holding the skip button throughout this scene leads to a hang here.) In case it helps, here is some debug output from this point (for some reason I can't copy the text, so I just screenshotted it): http://postimage.org/image/fyuky7gwx/
Reading the suggestions here, apparently changing the font is a way to work around the problem, so I looked into that. Here is the range of fonts available to me at the moment:
(There's the current font--looks like "Arial Unicode MS"--and a font whose name is a bunch of boxes. Btw, I'm using Wine on a Mac, and I don't know how to get more fonts and would rather not have to.) Changing the font at this point makes no difference: it's still hanging. What I *can* do is change the font to the all-squares font and reload this scene. Unfortunately, this font really is pure squares--but at least I can make it through the scene:
[The other workaround is to reload the game without the translation patch, progress a few lines in Japanese so I'm beyond the hang point, and load it back into English. The changing-font workaround is slightly better, because the text history shows up in a readable font even though it's displayed as squares.]
This brings the second issue to light: spaces getting deleted at word wraps, which manifests itself in the history. The thing is, the history font is different from the story-display font, and so even when I've configured the story font to "squares", the history remains readable, as you see in images 2 and 5.
You'll notice a bunch of deleted spaces in image 2 out of the 5 above. These occur at the places where line breaks occurred when the text was displayed in the squares font.
You can see directly how this happens by comparing images 4 and 5--these are the "squares" and "readable text" versions of the same text. The top line of image 5 is "Gya, gaa, HIA, AAAAAA!------!". On the top line of image 4, you see five squares ("Gya,), four squares (gaa,), four squares (HIA,), seven squares (AAAAAA!), a line (this is turned into six hyphens in history), and two squares (!"); you see the one-to-one correspondence between non-space readable characters and squares. Now let's look at the bottom line. In image 5, we see "and activating his NoblePhantasm". In image 4 on the bottom, you see 4 squares, 10 squares, 3 squares, 5 squares, and then 9 squares on the next line. The 4 squares are unexpected--it should correspond to "and", but there are four characters, so maybe there's some indentation character before it [in fact, inspecting the translation source, there is: a Unicode 0x3000 character, "ideographic space"]--but then "activating" is indeed 10 characters, "his" is 3 characters, "Noble" is 5 characters, and "Phantasm." is 9 characters--so the correspondence is clear. Thus, in the square font rendition, the bottom line was split between the 5-square "Noble" and the 9-square "Phantasm.", and it seems that in the internal representation of the text used by the history viewer, the space after "Noble" was deleted; then, when the history viewer displayed it in a different font, the natural line breaks occurred at different points, and the space deletions became obvious.
You can see this happen when playing with the normal font as well. Compare the following two images:
The display font and the history font are very slightly different: the history font is more widely spaced, and also, long dash-lines in the display turn into a series of dashes (which is less wide) in the history. Therefore, the line breaks occur sometimes at the same place, and sometimes at different places. In the second image, we see "reallybelieve", "moweddown", and "confirmedthat"; and in the first image, "really", "mowed", and "confirmed" were all line terminators.
I get the impression from reading discussion history that word wrap/space deletion issues have been kind of fuzzy and hard to observe or reproduce, and it looked at one point like they had been fixed. I can see why that might be, because it only manifests itself when lines break differently in what for me are very similar fonts, and might be identical fonts for others depending on their configuration. Anyway, I hope that this analysis helps someone perceive, understand, and fix the issue.
For reference, I'm using Wine 1.5.5 on OS X, built from Macports (wine-devel, current version), and using XQuartz 2.7.2 (current release).
- Apologies for a (very) late response, and much thanks for taking the time to do a full writeup; it is indeed quite helpful. The hard-to-reproduce part isn't so much an issue with wordwrapping code itself as it is with seeming inconsistencies in font rendering - some people report the same font apparently taking a different amount of space on different systems (this was particularly annoying on the "flag list" screen). FWIW, I'm frequently using Wine to test things out myself. At any rate, the wordwrapping code is definitely in need of another overhaul. If someone reading this is interested... you can find the diff here. Ranmafan
- All wordwrapping issues should be fixed now (including history display and hangs on ultra-long words). There are still a few things I don't understand, but the code appears to be working. Ranmafan
- Wonderful, wonderful! I look forward to the next release.
 Infinite hang in 夜編1-21.ks
- Fixed. (Temporary workaround: use a different font.) Ranmafan
 Infinite hang in 花札-story1after
- Still can't reproduce, will need to look into it more. Ranmafan
 Crash whenever certain flags are set
Missing file (flp_*) error whenever Hanafuda, Illya's game, and quiz completion flags are set.
- Cause found and fixed. Ranmafan
 Infinite loop in 魔境編-13.ks
- Wordwrapping code couldn't handle the long series of dots with no spaces... Fixed. Ranmafan
 Wordwrapping fails with some text macros
- Fixed. Wordwrapping code now handles "[line len=X]" tags. Ranmafan
 Only the first rule in hanafuda works
Title explains the issue.
- Not really sure what you mean. Could you elaborate? Ranmafan
OP edit: Only the "Frantic Mode" rule properly works (it doubles the mp and doubles mp gain rate), but the others doesn't work. For example, the next rule, "Noble Phantasms", i think it should disable/enable the use of noble phantasms, but it doesnt. AND this rule disables the first one, but if you had "Frantic Mode" on, and then put the "Noble phantasms" one off, you'll have the "Frantic Mode" effects ingame. The "Double score when its over 7 points"? Doesn't work The "Koi-Koi double"? Doesn't work And i dont know about the other rules, i think they're card combos, but im not sure, because i can't see any effects ingame.
- Will look into it, could be a game bug. Ranmafan
- I did some testing, and discovered that in Toraburu mode, there are exactly three rules disabled, (Rules 2,4, and 5) which are the three you listed. (In hindsight, I'm pretty sure they're disabled intentionally) Confirmed that all rules work correctly in Normal mode. - Terrafire (and Rikki_the_Herophon)
- 学校・1日目-14.ks - "Fujimure"
- 学校・2日目-37.ks - "Fujinura"
- 夜編1-14.ks.po - "Crossing the bridge, I heading over" --> "head over"
- "And he would see here" -> "her"
- "But are going to complain" -> "are you going"
- "This is the first time I hear it" -> "first time I've heard it" or something
- 真・冒頭-01.ks.po - "I'll drop if it keeps you" -> "drop it if it keeps you"
- 衛宮邸・夜マップ-18.ks.po - "school was died blood-red" -> "dyed"
- 街編・2日目-14.ks.po - "gave me large loan" -> "gave me a large loan"
- 夜編2-26.ks.po - "The taught expression" -> "taut"
- 衛宮邸・1日目-39.ks.po - "This is castle is a vacation house" -> "This castle"
- 夜編2-14.ks.po - "going lose" -> "going to lose"
- 真・冒頭-03.ks.po - "Are you inferring that I am an idiot?" -> should probably be "implying"
- "they say that long-long time ago" -> "a long, long time ago"
- "I'm tend to be tense when Caster-san is around" -> "I tend"
- 真・冒頭-05.ks.po - "Von" -> "von"
- 学校・4日目-26.ks.po - "having been unable to save kitten" -> "save the kitten"
- 街・特別編-02.ks.po - "not that great at freedivin" -> freediving
- 街編・4日目-07.ks.po: "So, if Saegusa" -> spurious CR character at the end of the string
- 花札-story6.ks.po - "Taiga, what nonsense are you saying!?" -> spurious CR character at the end of the string
- ランサー港-10.ks.po: "een though your reel is better" -> "even"
- 衛宮邸・2日目-51.ks.po: "While it is not particularly meaningful question" -> "not a particularly"
- 夜編1-25.ks.po: "The spear is pulled out.[lr]]" - extra "]"
- 柳洞寺・1日目-17.ks.po: "having my my vitality" - "having my vitality"
- "came home to find the Sakura" - "came home to find Sakura"
- "already have a hinch" - "already have a hunch"
- 真・冒頭-08.ks.po: "ghost stores" - "ghost stories"?
- "vast store of of riches for it" - extra "of"
- "calls fourth boiling water" - "forth"
- 学校・1日目-49.ks.po: "that's really no good As your teacher" - missing period in middle
- 衛宮邸・2日目-05.ks.po: "Sakura just invited me, this is" - missing "..."
- 真・冒頭-03.ks.po: "invited the unexpected the new" - remove extra "the"
- 魔境編-13.ks.po - "Leysritt is the one who have overcome" -> has overcome
- All of the above fixed, thanks. Ranmafan
- "Sakura is incredible" -> Later on, this comment is referenced with "It was enough to elicit an "incredible" compliment from Rider herself", so it seems like it should be "Sakura's swimsuit looks incredible" or something.
- This one is intentionally vague. I did rewrite the bit after it, however. Ranmafan
- 柳洞寺・3日目-02.ks.po - "he saved up quite bit" -> "quite a bit". Also in that line, 'geezer," he saved' should probably be 'geezer." He saved'.
- Rewritten. Ranmafan
- 魔境編-13.ks.po - "As long green exists on this planet and mana fills" -> maybe "as long as green exists"? Still doesn't make too much sense, though.
- Rewritten. Ranmafan
- "nymphomaniac" -> The word "nymphomaniac" actually refers to a sex-obsessed woman, not a man obsessed with sex with women.
- Hahaha, big "oops" there. Replaced with just "maniac". Ranmafan
- "Ju%p", "Fu%ce", "Gama%th" -> what are these words? They seem not to be accidental typos, but I'm guessing there's some way to romanize them without percent signs.
- They are supposed to be "censored", sort of. Replaced "%" with filled squares (■). Ranmafan
 Untranslated parts
Unedited image in ランサー港-09.ks: 090_釣notice01 needs to be translated and edited.Removed (replaced with a transparent stub).
- Unedited image in 真・冒頭-05.ks: 136_冒頭05text01 needs to be edited.
- Translated and edited. Ranmafan
- Medium-difficulty quiz untranslated: 魔境編-23.ks
- Quiz now translated. Ranmafan
- Untranslated popup in Hanafuda (playing through Tora-buru mode second time): http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/69/catch3.jpg/
- Fixed. Ranmafan
- Untranslated flag screen, triggered after you first go to all four areas of the night town map. http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y223/deepcdivingsuit/ijounashi.jpg/
- Found and fixed, thanks. Ranmafan
- One of Caren's comments in Hanafuda has an untranslated part.
- Found/fixed. Ranmafan
- One of Illya's (Berserker team?) comments is untranslated.
- Can't find it... Ranmafan
- A dialogue scene with Rin (on the evening, the day after she came back, with an exclamation spot on the house map) is untranslated, and it isn't indicated on the map. Problamatic since it's plot-relevant (from the CG she speaks about parrallel worlds, if that can help).
- You're probably talking about 衛宮邸・夜マップ-14 - which is indeed an important scene. It's already done and will be included in the next release (i.e. after 3.1). Ranmafan (talk)
 Untranslated scenes are not marked (wishlist)
TODO: Somehow make it possible to tell translated/untranslated scenes before opening them.
- Done - the map screen shows untranslated scenes on mouseover. Ranmafan
 Unverified scenes (wishlist)
- 学校・1日目-09.ks ("Rider and the sandwich") (done)
- 学校・3日目-41.ks http://postimage.org/image/8qj37r35x/ (done)
- 学校・4日目-43.ks (done)
- 衛宮邸・夜マップ-21.ks ("Sister crisis") - not yet translated