There are no longer separate installers for the "Natural" and "Literal" versions of the patch. If you are installing the English patch for the first time, you will be asked during installation to make a choice between them; if you are upgrading from the v1.0 patch, the installer will detect the version you previously chose and install the appropriate set of script files automatically.
Instructions to install
We hope that the version 1.1 installer will be less problematic then previous versions. However, if you encounter difficulty applying the English patch, please try following the steps below.
- Uninstall the game completely (including saves) if you had it previously installed for whatever reason.
- If you're running Windows 7 or Vista and you previously installed Katahane into the Program Files folder, your saves will be in the C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files(x86)\Tarte folder; you might need to delete them manually.
- Install the Japanese game.
- Download and run the official update patch from one of the mirrors: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10.
- Run and follow the instructions of the installer. You may need to have administrator privileges on the computer.
- If you get an installation error like "C:\users\username\AppData\Local\Temp\RarSFX0\Installer.exe Starting the application failed." then try installing Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 for it to work.
- Run katahane.exe in the game folder (NOT カタハネ.exe and NOT the shortcut that the Japanese installer made), then click on "File" and "Font Config" in-game, and change the font to "S2GP月フォント" for the wordwrapping to function properly.
- Correct result:
If you have trouble using the patch or notice any mistakes, please tell us about the issue on the page Katahane:Error Reports.
The story takes place in a world with 3 kingdoms: the Red, White, and Blue Kingdom. In this world, they have highly-advanced dolls with some closely resembling humans. These dolls occasionally need maintenance which is done by a “tuner”.
A young playwright named Wakaba writes a controversial play about a traitor named Ein who killed a ruler of the White Kingdom, Christina. In Wakaba’s play, she presumes that Ein did not betray Christina, but was actually her loyal supporter.
When Wakaba’s friend Cero needs to make a trip to get Coco- an energetic doll that lives with him- maintenance, Wakaba and her brother Light travel with him. Wakaba travels in the hopes of finding some actors for her play. Along the way, they meet a beautiful doll with one wing named Belle and an aspiring actress named Angelina.
The story takes place in 2 parts:
1) Shirohane - the main story with Wakaba and gang
2) Kurohane - the historical events talking about the end of the reign of Christina
[Taken from Yuri Fan]
26 January, 2012: It's the fifth anniversary of Katahane's release and we on the patch team are celebrating it with the release of version 1.1 of our English translation patch, which fixes countless typos and other minor issues with the script. We hope that if you haven't yet played Katahane but intend to, this new version will make your reading experience even better. This is expected to be our final release.
30 August, 2011: Despite the best efforts of anime conventions, family vacations and schools to sabotage our promise of an August release, we're happy to present the complete English translation patch of Katahane! Thank you all for your patience, and I would also like to extend my personal thanks to everyone who helped us with the patch in any way, whether or not you are listed on the staff below. Please enjoy the game! -I failed jp302 14:57, 30 August 2011 (CDT)
20 July, 2010: Trial version patch released
1 December, 2009: Project started
- Translation: yeah321
- Editing: I failed jp302
- Quality Checking: izmos, Orophin (Post-release)
- Hacking: Presently anonymous others
- Image Editing: Solarnis
- Movie Subtitling: Ririko
|Underlined||= Translation checked|
|Bold + Italics||= QCed and ready to go|
See also Katahane:Images to edit
- File:Katahane scriptpuller tools.zip - Pulls scripts down and calculates progress automatically by using the appropriate .bat files
- Katahane:kh_copylines.py - lines copier (now with nifty features like merging split lines and blanking empty ones)
- Katahane:kh_linecount.py - line counter
- Wikipedia article:
- Game is available from:
- Download Edition via DLsite (Japanese, see this guide how to buy from Japanese DLsite.)
- Download Edition via Gyutto.com (Japanese)
- Download Edition via shop.vector.co.jp (Japanese)
- Amazon JP (Japanese, See this guide how to buy from Japan exclusive sites.)
- Yahoo JP Product Search (Japanese, See this guide how to buy from Japan exclusive sites.)